If you face a leg injury, you will naturally want to avoid walking on your leg. Some people may find crutches a pain to use, and they will go for a cane instead.
But do you need a prescription to use a cane?
No. You don’t need a prescription to buy a cane.
You can go to any store where they sell canes and purchase them without a doctor or specialist’s permission.
- However, suppose you find yourself with a foot or leg injury. In that case, you should consult a doctor to see the best treatment for your situation.
- You can also use a mobility device temporarily if you need additional support or leverage. For example, some people treat their canes as walking sticks, so you could use them to walk long distances.
- If you plan to get a cane as a fashion item, you do not need to worry about seeing a doctor.
Why You Should See a Doctor for a Walking Cane
If you go with a doctor, you can enjoy multiple benefits of improving your cane use.
- Identify the best cane for your needs
- Determine how long should your cane
- Give yourself a time frame on how long to use an assistive device
While you may want to use a cane, you may find crutches work best for a temporary injury. A wheelchair also might be a better option if you do not want to harm your leg further. You can figure out the best choice for your situation by talking with a doctor.
Your doctor can also find the right cane size for you to minimize pain and strain. It will be difficult to lean on if you purchase a tall stick. On the other hand, a short stick will cause you to bend forward and arch your back, which could lead to back pain.
You can find out how long you need to use a mobility device when seeing a doctor. Instead of guessing and getting on your feet too soon, you can ask your doctor when you can stop using the assistive device. However, you may have to rely on a cane whenever you walk.
Cane for Style vs. Support
You should also determine if you plan to use your cane for style or as a tool. For example, some people carry canes around to fit their outfits.
So, if you want to buy a stick for looks, you need to focus more on the design of the device.
Others go with canes because they need additional support and balance.
Since the cane will assist them in their daily needs, they must think about the comfort and shape of the device. It needs to be comfortable while providing the necessary support to help you.
The Bottom Line
If you want a straightforward answer, you do not need to get a prescription to use a cane.
While you do not need a prescription, you should see a doctor in case of an injury.
Whether you have injured your foot or started aging, understanding canes and choosing the right cane will help you remain safe and comfortable.